Wednesday 15 February 2012

A Flower in the Snow, and Today's Knit

Yesterday, late in the evening, and today, before lunch, I swatched a first square for Flowers in the Snow, a crocheted granny square blanket I've had in my Ravelry queue for ages. Here it is:
I am not a great crocheter, but would like to get better, and hopefully over the course of making this blanket I will. It was a little diversion for me, to make me feel like I'm casting on for something new, but really I have to knuckle down and finish what I'm currently working on (yawn - the husband's jumper, the City and Guilds samples, the Afghan squares, probably in that order).

You can find instructions for Flowers in the Snow at Sols(tr)ickke's blog (solgrim,blogspot,com), or on Ravelry.

Today the weather is freakishly mild after days of snow and ice, warm enough for me to work out in the garden for an hour this afternoon. So I am feeling a little over-warm in today's knit:
This is yet another Steph Japel knit, Cathode, from a very old winter Knitty (about 2002 or 2003 I think), and on my Ravelry page for it I tell the story of how at the time it was the first knit I had completed (and really liked, and really wore) for probably ten years or more. Once I knitted this, I was back into knitting big time, and for a while afterwards only knit Japel patterns as I trusted the fit. I have worn and worn this, casually (like today) with jeans and a black cardi thrown over, and dressy with formal black trousers and a silver brooch out to dinner on numerous occasions. At the time I hadn't become aware of luxury yarns, so knitted it in a wool/acrylic blend yarn (Sirdar Aran and Sirdar Stampata). I have often thought about doing another version in Noro Silk Mountain. Maybe I will, one day...

No comments: