Saturday 11 February 2012

Chilly in Durham - Not Enough Handknits to Keep Me Warm!

Yesterday I visited the stunning cathedral, castle and university town of Durham. This view is from the bank of the Wear looking up to the fortified Normal castle and pre-Norman cathedral.

But readers, it was a very cold day indeed, and despite wearing FOUR knitted items I was very chilly indeed and we had to make frequent stops for hot drinks/food - not really a hardship!


In the photo I am wearing Juliet over a lighter weight jumper, with a very ancient, but very warm, scarf knitted in Rowan Biggy Print, and a plain black beret knitted to a Jo Sharp pattern in some left over wool/acrylic blend yarn. It's plainness kind of bothers me, but also makes it very wearable, although the acrylic blend means it is not actually my warmest hat. I am also wearing hand knit socks inside my winter boots, knitted in Regia sock wool.

The exposed brick work behind me is actually part of the old city wall, which is now inside one of Durham's best cafes - Flat White.

It's been a great week of rediscovery of my handknits, and I have a clearer idea of which ones might be headed for the frog pond! I am wearing the Montague Bulky Lace Vest again today, which shows it is one of the more versatile and one of the warmest as well. We are heading north for a mini-break to Scotland tomorrow (bizarrely warmer than here at the moment) and I am planning to take the Perfect Periwinkle, which layers up and down well. Stay tuned.

No comments: