Saturday 12 May 2012

Yarn Knows What It Wants To Be

Generally, I think yarn knows what it wants to be, and sometimes it isn't what I want it to be!

This has been the case with the Safire cardigan. A very pretty cardigan, it seems to want a lightweight worsted, with plenty of drape. My King Cole Merino is a heavy, 100% wool worsted. This week, as I worked on Safire, I felt I was fighting the yarn. Last night I gave up, took the needles out and surfed Ravelry for another option - not that easy; I have far less than a sweater's worth, and want something plain yet stylish I can throw over light tops at work and at the weekend. But I did find this:


This is Shrug It Off, a pattern from Vickie Howell's Caron range, and it is free on Ravelry. It will be an easy knit, suitable for those tired after-work evenings this coming week. I have swatched it and the yarn seems to like it better. I hope it works - shrugs can be great, or terrible, in my experience. I like them longer in length, with sleeve coverage, and with some drape, so I am knitting up a needle size on the body and have cast on for the largest size.

No comments: