Wednesday 29 June 2011

In My Queue: A Civil War Era Shawl

Yesterday as I was passing the historic Willard Hotel in downtown Washington, I passed two ladies dressed in civil war era garb - no mean feat in the heat and humidity of the Washington summer, and indeed they were fanning themselves! One had a lace shawl draped across her arms, and it reminded me how beautiful shawls look.

A little while ago, I was surfing for vintage patterns and found a lovely website from the South Carolina Ladies Auxiliary (http://csa-scla.org/index/htm). From it, I plan to knit the Civil War Era Shawl, in the originally suggested colours of violet, black and gold. But what yarn to use?

While in Bath, Maine, on our recent New England trip, I visited the wonderful and amazing Halcyon Yarns (halcyonyarn.com) and was in heaven. Rows and rows of ceiling high wooden shelving stocking their own brand of beautiful yarns, plus a range of other quality yarns, and with notions, books, weaving and spinning supplies as well - looking at the examples of woven scarves made me want to buy a starter kit then and there! I left with a bag of pure silk yarn ends in varying colours (violet, black, gold among them) and some Victorian Brushed Mohair in violet - serendipity.

No comments: