Tuesday 7 June 2011

Adventures in Sewing

In order to give my sore shoulder a break from knitting I have been dabbling in sewing lately, and last night after work settled down to make a pair of shorts for the sweltering DC weather, using Sky Turtle's suggestions at:
http://skyturtle.net/2009/05//26/how-to-make-an-easy-peasy-pair-of-shorts/

Sky Turtle's beautiful shorts

I used some cotton fabric I'd picked up at a thrift store, dark red with small white stars all over it, and drew around my pyjama pants to make the pattern. I don't have a sewing machine here in DC so leisurely spent the evening hand sewing the seams (using backstitch). I will finish them tonight, just need to get some elastic for the waistband - they have turned out pretty well.

I managed to squeeze in some knitting as well - picked up and knit the gussets on the second Shibui sock (while sitting in the shade on the Mall at lunchtime watching people jog by under the hot DC sun!), and did 5 rows on Frost Flowers before bed.

All in all, a pretty productive day!

2 comments:

JanieB said...

Pleased you're still getting some crafting in...

Post a pic of the finished shorts:)

JanieB said...

Well done Anita, can't believe the change in climate from when you arrived!