Sunday 3 January 2016

New Year, New Knits

Or should I say Finished Knits.  Finishing UFOs is something I really like to do as New Years Eve approaches, and if we stay in, I quite like to knit on the eve itself.    Having just arrived in beautiful Scotland, we were jet lagged so skipped the big Hogmanay celebrations, and I finished up three knits on New Years Day:


Anise, by Sarah Hatton, in Rowan New Shapes. I have the book, but this is available as a free pattern on Ravelry.  This knit is designed for big wool, but I used the heavy worsted/light chunky handspun I picked up at an op shop in Nowra with my sister last February, knitting the medium size on 10mm needles to create a loose gauge in this stiff and course wool yarn.  I had tons of it and also used it for the Pickles' One Night Coat:


So I have two yellow cardigans! One for each location that I spend time in; Anise can stay in Scotland.  I bought some yellow-brown coconut shell buttons from John Lewis in Glasgow earlier this week, but haven't attached them yet.  I wore Anise over a long sleeved white thermal and with navy leggings and boots on New Years Day, and have also been pulling it on as a bed jacket when sitting up drinking tea and surfing the net in bed during the long, dark, and cold northern winter mornings, so already getting a lot of wear.

I started Anise in 2015, but the following knit dates from 2014 at least, and perhaps earlier.  It began life as a poncho, subsequently abandoned.  It then morphed into what I hoped what be a warm hoodie in damp and chilly Yorkshire, using Susan B Anderson's top down raglan KAL recipe.  A yarn shortage meant I couldn't do long sleeves or a hood - abandoned again.  It was shipped to Oz with the rest of our stuff, so I threw it in my bag and flew it back to the UK, where it has become a half sleeved sweater:


I wore this on Jan 2nd with jeans and ankle boots, and it was very cosy.

And finally, I knit the top border on London Shadows, in coordinating black sock yarn as I had run out of the Katia Darling used for the bottom border and body of the shawl. This is awaiting blocking but here is a shot showing off the colours and drape:


London Shadows was a MKAL by Wild Prairie Knits which started on my birthday in 2015.  I participated as a treat for myself during a very busy year, and am very glad I did - I love it and what it represents; self care, time to do things I love and that restore me.  I will create more opportunities for this in 2016.

No comments: