Monday 9 April 2012

Sewing, And Yet Another Square

Readers, I am on fire with these afghan squares, which now the end is in sight are coming off the needles apace. Here is my latest one, the Melissa Leapman "cat" square (which granted was very easy, but fun to do):
But I have not been knitting today - I have been sewing! I need long, quiet (preferably rainy) days to sew, and today was just such a day. So I had another go at my recently attempted Simplicity pattern for lounge or pajama pants, this time in some beautiful Liberty fabric I bought from ebay years ago:
And the result is better! Although I was no quicker, and it actually took all afternoon, with much fiddling around with the waist casing:
But it did take just one afternoon, and I have a wearable and beautiful pair of lounge pants for this evening. I think I needed a break from the long, slow slog that knitting often is!

I took my time cutting (and used a cutting table which helped enormously), matched up my notches (thanks Aunty Carol, for that and some other tips!), and reinforced the crotch seam as well. I dithered between a drawstring and elastic waist, and went for elastic in the end as the pants are low-slung and I thought that would work better, and sit more tidily. But I have made a drawstring - that will be for my next project (Amy Butler's In Town bags). Stay tuned!

No comments: