Tuesday 24 April 2012

An Almost Complete Afghan, and Spun Yarn

A few weeks ago, I couldn't wait to finish the Afghan - it has taken 15 months of square knitting, here and there, to get to this point. But now I am on the last square (number 21), and half of it is sewn, and the other half blocking, this finishing process is rather delicious and I almost don't want it to end. Here is the half that is sewn:
It looks rather nice just as it is! Perhaps I didn't need to do 16 squares after all...

Onto other fibre news - my spinning has gone on apace and by Sunday evening I had this:

All ready to do some colourblock handwarmers, adapted from a pattern in the Spin It booklet you can see in this photo, and gifted to me a while ago by Julia. Yesterday saw me on a precious annual leave day, and a trip to Hexham (sadly no yarn shops there), and on the drive there and back, plus the evening I completed the handwarmers, and was delighted. Stay tuned for a pic.

The texture of my spun yarn is still rather too super-bulky for my liking, but I started my next spinning project straight away and was thrilled to see the yarn come through much more smoothl and finely. This time I am spinning alpaca, bought a few years ago at Ally Pally:

So if there is a theme to my current adventures in fibre, it is of tying up some very enduring loose ends - the afghan has been a slow burning project, but spinning even more so; my spindle and the fleece has been on the back burner for several years now, as has sewing, which I am also doing much more of. Perhaps the textile history of Yorkshire is seeping into my bones.

No comments: