Friday 30 December 2011

Simplicity 9139

Simplicity 9139, a pair of elasticated waist "lounge" pants, is complete. They took me a couple of days on and off, and whilst I certainly wouldn't win any prizes for workmanship, they are wearable, and very comfortable. In fact I am wearing them today, with a slim fitting black merino wool jumper and black ballet flats (somewhat inspired by the mini-series on Bobby Kennedy we are currently watching)! A couple of views below, apologies for the poor shots in front of a mirror, in dull northern light!



The fabric is some kind of poyester mock-wool type thing, picked up from a local charity shop. When I get better at sewing, I will start to buy better fabric! The pattern is really designed to make lightweight summer pants, and I will try that too later in the year, and next time I will cut a small size - this one is medium, and is a little too baggy in the thighs really.

I learnt some good things from making these - the importance of tacking before sewing, and some of the different ways to make elasticated/drawstring waists, which I reviewed on Youtube before I went with casing and thick elastic. I am also hoping to get to the point sometime soon when I can "read" sewing pieces like I can knitting - identifiying fronts and backs of trousers easily for example.

On knitting: working on the husband's 4 ply Cashsoft forest green jumper in front of the TV in the evenings - about a third of the way through the body, which I am working in the round.

No comments: