Sunday 27 November 2011

Simplicity 9078, a Surface pic and the Importance of Lists.

Today a little more information on my newly-sewn-for-Christmas gold top (pic in previous post). The pattern is Simplicity 9078, and as I said yesterday I would date it as early 1980s. I attach a pic of the cover:
I picked this pattern up at Oxfam for the princely sum of 49p, and in fact have already tried it out once - that attempt was doomed as I used a patterned jersey knit fabric which I found I couldn't sew easily on my then crappy machine (before I got the trusty treadle running). I did however manage to centre the fabric, and ended up mostly sticking it together with hemming tape. It fell apart the first time I washed it, but I did get compliments on it that one time! My intention this time is that it will last longer, so I took the pattern's advice and used a silk-type (viscose) fabric, and actually sewed the seams.

Yesterday I was feeling rather flipperty-gibbet about my craft projects, so I sat down after blogging and wrote out a list of what I am working on. The list went like this (in no particular order):
  1. Fair Isle Hand Warmers
  2. Surface
  3. Great American Afghan
  4. Mending (I have a pile to do!)
  5. Skirt refashion
  6. T-shirt quilt
  7. Next sewing project: elastic waist trousers
I have left the list where I do my crafting - on the sofa in the lounge, in front of the TV/radio, and so after it got dark yesterday (about 3.30pm!) I found an old mini-series on CBS Drama (The Thorn Birds - fantastic stuff) and finished the hand warmers before I had to make dinner. They are now ticked off the list (very satisfying) and in fact I am wearing them right now.  Keeping up the good work, this morning after I had finished various chores and outings I sat down to Desert Islands Discs at 11am and worked on Surface (the second sleeve) for an hour. Here is a pic of the first, finished, sleeve:

I am hoping this rich berry coloured cashmere-blend (RYC cashsoft) cardigan will become a weekend staple, particularly as I am feeling short of comfy, cozy-yet-stylish weekend clothes at the moment.

No comments: