Saturday 20 April 2013

In which I pick up my sewing again.

Hmmm - the last week or two has seen me slightly losing my knitting mojo.  I completed the Darlington Cowl, but am unconvinced; even having lengthened it somewhat it still is a bit short.
Here are a couple of shots of it being worn:

It's cute - and I love the colour of this King Cole merino blend yarn - but it's too short.  I might lengthen it more, or I might just rip it and knit a heavy shawl out of the yarn.  I have plenty more.  Decisions, decisions.  I am also wearing a handknit in the above photo - but my only contribution to this was finishing it, as it came (in pieces) in a bag of cotton yarn I picked up at a thrift store in DC.  This striped cotton pullover has a boat neck, kind of dropped or dolman sleeves, and is long line but quite fitted through the body.  It's perfect for spring, and actually I wear it a lot. 

I am still thinking about the Portnoo Poncho, so that is hibernating after my swatch.  I am finishing a thick wool sweater for my husband, but that is rather boring to knit... and due to my travelling life, I need lightweight, small, interesting but not too challening projects - socks and shawls of course.

So yesterday saw me returning to my sewing, and I cut out and started a practice run on ... sewing my own trench coat/mac!  I am using some drab brown/beige cotton I had in stash - I don't mind if it doesn't work out, and if it does it might just work in a vintage, ration-book WW2 kind of way over a tea dress (think Sam in Foyle's War).  I am using a McCalls pattern for vinyl and heavy-weight fabric trench coats.  I am doing a simple belted trench, unlined (although I might put a lining in) with front facings and a collar.  Many of these techniques are new to me, so this will be a learning experience - hence the practice piece!  Now I haven't really been applying myself to my sewing challenge, but I am enjoying it at present, so I might start catching up with my goals.  I have a plain A-line black skirt ready for some finishing (January), and have a vintage Vogue pattern lined up for trousers (February) and blouse (March).  I also have underwear cut and ready to sew for later in the year.  I'll get there, but perhaps not in a month to month way!  As usual, I am sewing on my vintage Jones CS treadle (straight stitch only, but what a lovely machine to use), and hand finishing where required.

No comments: