Monday 20 August 2012

In which Spring Cloud goes to the frog pond, I reorganise my craftng space and get startitis for Carnival.

So I thought I had managed to break the drought with Spring Cloud - I am sure all due to Gigi's wise advice last week and the diversion of the Magic Loop socks (now on the second one) during my commute this week. In the evenings last week, I beavered away and Spring Cloud the second was completed, and in a flash of inspiration I nipped out to the Woolmouse to get some vaguely co-ordinating laceweight - and found this kid merino:


from Crystal Palace yarns, in the enchantingly named Kiwis and Mangos. Knitted the cowl neck - and, once again, hated it. The problem, I have decided, is the proportions of the sweater are all wrong - the cowl is too much for the short body and sleeves. It will never be right, so it's going to go, and it's back to the drawing board for the Gedifra Samina. I feel another Rav search coming on!
Feeling somewhat discouraged by knitting, I looked for other activities to do and over the weekend I was suddenly taken to change around our dining and "extra" room spaces at home, and in the process had to face the mess that is my crafting space, or lack thereof! I was vaguely spreading myself around different parts of the house, and feeling pretty unorganised with it, which is something I hate. So I now have a dedicated crafting space (or really corner) in what was formerly our dining room, and is now our "activity room" - our dining room has moved to the rear extension, making much better use of this space, which was formerly just a junk room, really! Here is my crafting corner, mid-way through the changeover:


It is looking a bit better than that now!  I also had to deal with the fact that my stash is completey out of control, following a donation of about 7 large bags (and I mean garbage bag sized) of mill end cones from a neighbour! In amongst it were some beautifully coloured laceweight (you can see them in the photo) and a bag of silk, so some of it will be staying, but I will probably Freecycle or donate the rest to a school or college for textile students to use. My neighbour also had a knitting machine going, but I think I have enough on the go somehow, with knitting, and dabbling in crochet, sewing, spinning and dying, and all with a full time job and 2 hour commute...

With Spring Cloud off the needles, the Magic Loops socks in my work bag for commuting, and the Apple Strudel quietly hibernating until autumn really hits, I found myself daydreaming about a new project. I had been planning a shawl of course (sweater, socks and a shawl), but during a trashy 90s romantic comedy I watched last week some knitware caught my eye and in leafing through my old Rowan mags, I came across some vintage Kim Hargreaves from the late 90s (Carnival from Rowan 27) that was similar, and might treat myself to a rustle around in the stash this evening to see if I have what I need for it.

No comments: