Sunday 10 June 2012

Spring Cloud, McCalls 2255, and Amy Butler's "In Town" Bags

Spring Cloud has been knitting up quickly in Gedifra Samina, on 4.5 mm needles (a fairly loose, open gauge):

I am however worried about it being too tight - I have tried on myself, and it is tight over the bust, and too short for me, although Linda (it's recipient) is very petite. I think I will knit the sleeves and then lengthen it with any left over yarn I have. It is a soothing, idiot-knit, knitting around and around. I also need to search my stash for some lightweight matching yarn for the cowl.

I would really like to get out into the garden on this relaxing Sunday at home, but the British summer is at its worst at the moment, and I have to keep dodging very heavy showers. So while the showers are coming down I have been working on McCalls 2255, one of my "vintage" 1990s patterns from Julia:

It is designed for lightweight fabric, but I am sewing it in a heavyweight cream fabric (possibly a mistake - I will soon find out!). I cut and pinned it last weekend, and today sewed the side seams and pinned the waist:


I do all my sewing on the old Jones Family CS (Cylinder Shuttle) treadle machine in this picture - and although it only does one stitch (straight) it works beautifully, there are never issues with tension or tangles, and I can control the speed and keep things nice and slow. I use pinking shears to clip my seams instead of zig-zag, and also do a lot of hand finishing. I am planning to sew black embroidery wool detailing onto the skirt, and add a black knitted corsage - based on a skirt I saw some time ago in the Guardian weekend magazine.

I also finished the Amy Butler "In Town" bag and pouch I worked on last weekend - although they shouldn't have been I found them rather fiddly and wonder if that is something to do with Amy Butler patterns perhaps. But they have turned out nicely:



These were a good way to use up scraps, and although I am not super-happy with my finish they are pretty and servicable. So I have made some progress on my year's sewing goal over these past two weekends! 




No comments: