Sunday 7 October 2012

Sew Sunday

I took a break from knitting today and instead took up my needle and thread and hand finished the skirt I started some months ago...
Apologies for the naff photo - it is draped over the trunk in my living room here.  I used a vintage 1990s pattern for this A-line, drawstring waist skirt, hand stitched the black lines around the hem, with black knitting cotton and knitted a black cotton corsage out of the same yarn to decorate the waist - I sewed a large black coat button, reclaimed from an old coat, in the centre of the corsage.  This skirt is based on one I saw in The Guardian's weekend style pages some years ago, and I always thought it wouldn't be too hard to recreate, and would look nice with a black top and black boots.  I have a theatre trip next weekend, and might just wear it at that, if I can make it work.  The white fabric is embossed curtain material, and it's lined with a light cotton.  I have tons of this white curtain fabric, and am dreaming of making this out of the rest:
This is Amy Butler's Rainy Days pattern; although there are a few other trench coat patterns out there as well that I am considering, as I find AB's patterns rather overly-fiddly.  I am a fairly beginning sewer, and rather unorthodox as I use a vintage machine and lots of hand sewing, so I asked my big sister for advice on the phone today, and she suggested making a lightweight shirt first - a good suggestion which I think I will do.

Following completing the skirt, I worked for a while on my quilting project - a wall hanging t-shirt quilt of my husband's many travel t-shirts.  I only did a little on this, as we took advantage of the fine autumn afternoon to do a little gardening, and take a walk out in the fresh country air.

This weekend I can also report that I picked up my spindle again, and spun a little, although knitting has been slow.  I am rethinking my yarn choice for my current WIP - the Northampton Neckerchief - as the wool yarn is very scratchy against the skin and the neckerchief is designed to be worn, of course, against the neck.  So that project has stalled, and instead I am knocking out another Classic Beret, from Jenny Lord's Purls of Wisdom for Karina's mum, who saw Karina wearing hers and loved it, while thinking about what to do next...

No comments: