Monday 3 September 2012

Finished Objects and a Return to Spinning

This past weekend saw one completely finished object - the Apple Strudel Cardigan:
Not the greatest pic in the world - I will take a better one when I wear it for the first time - but it is all done and warm and snuggly for those autumn weekends ahead.

I also managed to finish the first Magic Loop sock:

The second is OTK, with the leg complete and the heel turned. One long evening of TV watching (maybe tonight) will finish it off. And I will be relieved - these have been a slog, not because of the technique, but because I always seem to knit them when I'm feeling tired and hence I've made tons of mistakes and had to rip a few times.

I also returned to spinning at the weekend, in my new "spinning studio" - really just our summerhouse, cleared out a bit - and this hank of pure wool, from the raw fleece given to me by our neighbours - is drying out today after a soak in some cold water, ready to be balled up.
This is the first step in my plan to drop spindle and knit enough yarn for the Rocky Coast Cardigan from Coastal Knits. I have swatched up a small square, and the light, lofty yarn this fleece is spinning up as should be perfect. I hope my spinning will improve as I go - it is still very slubby, and I haven't decided what I'll do about plying yet.
But readers - if I achieve this goal, I will reward myself witha wheel!

No comments: