Sunday 4 March 2012

On Finishing

The husband's 1940s inpsired sweater is almost finished. I have spent most of today sewing in the sleeves, and sewing up the sleeve seams, pressing it, and knitting and sewing in the neckband. But - finishing can be a pernickity task, and so it is with this sweater.

I stretched the neckband too tight while sewing up the first half - so it was kind of lopsided. I did such a good job sewing it that try as I might it was a very difficult job unpicking it! So I have compromised and think I might have found a solution - laying one end over the other where the "v" meets, almost like a shawl collar (but not quite). It seems to work, but I'm still thinking it over.

Also the body length is a bit too short for him (he is sooo tall! With a long torso!), so I am picking up to knit a few extra inches of rib along the cast on edge. I know this will cause the rib to be off-set. I have a few ideas to hide that - let's see if they work! So most of this evening has been spend fiddling with a sweater that by rights should be finished by now.

Time to return to top down knitting - it never causes me these problems!

No comments: