Friday 1 July 2011

On Wearing Shawls in Summer

The more shawls I knit, the more I realize how incredibly useful they are. Yesterday I spent the day in Baltimore, Maryland - a grittily industrial but still beautiful harbour city, full of amazing architcture and historic ships, including the famous Balitmore clippers. I took advantage of the many free offerings at the Visitor's Centre, including an afternoon walking tour of the city. Afternoons in Maryland in late June are pretty warm, and although I had a hat I wanted something to protect my shoulders and chest area as my tee shirt had a sweetheart neckline. My Really Simple Shawlette (search Ravelry for the pattern) was perfect, knitted in Noro Silk Garden Sock it kept me cool during the hot walk, and at the end of the day - no sunburn. It also drew many admiring comments from passers-by. A real success, so many thanks to the talented designer!

No comments: